Sunday, April 15, 2012

Ron Miles at Dazzle!

Tonight a friend of mine and I took in an hour-long 6:00 PM set with Relay, playing the music of Ron Miles with Ron Miles. Relay is made up of electric piano, drums, and guitar. Mr. Miles, who also heads the Jazz Studies program at Metro State College of Denver, plays trumpet and composes. He is well-recorded and highly-rated as a performer and writer. As I listened to his playing, I was attempting to identify who he sounded like. My conclusion was that he sounded like Ron Miles!

Mr. Miles music tends to be ballad-like and contemplative, giving each player a winning structure within which to improvise. Relay performed two of their own pieces (one in a fast and challenging 7/4), within which Mr. Miles fit perfectly.

The event was well attended and well received. Those in Denver are quite blessed some have venues such as Dazzle and musicians such as performed tonight. There was another set at 8:00.

My only complaint was the visuals provided by a long-haired guy operating a computer to remix the live show with random (I think) scenes. Whatever the artistic merit, it served more as distraction to the live jazz than anything else. Live jazz is enough for me. I don't need a hyperactive screen to participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment